PewDiePie — YouTube’s biggest channel with over 93 million subscribers — announced on Tuesday a partnership with blockchain powered live streaming service DLive.

Announced in a press release, and in a recent video by infamous content creator Felix Kjellberg a.k.a. PewDiePie, the partnership will see PewDiePie stream exclusively on the DLive platform from April 14.

DLive is a live streaming platform, similar to Twitch, which aims to reward content creators and viewers through its rewards system.

Despite owning the most popular channel on YouTube; due to recent controversies with the press, PewDiePie has been seemingly alienated by the platform. There is little doubt, then, why the creator would look to alternatives such as DLive, who promise to put creators first.


PewDiePie announces the partnership with DLive on his YouTube channel

Based on the Lino blockchain, DLive take zero cuts from subscriptions to content creators. Instead, 90.1% of each subscription and donation goes directly to the creator, with the remaining 9.9% being shared among users who own locked ‘LINO Points’ — the native currency of the Lino network.

Lino is powered by Cosmos, and uses Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance (pBFT) — a form of Proof of Stake — as its consensus algorithm. The network’s block explorer can be found here, and its GitHub page here

Lino Network co-founder, Wilson Wei, described in Tuesday’s press release how DLive benefits creators who support one another and create high-quality content. He continued:

“PewDiePie has always been a fierce advocate for the value that creators bring with their hard work, time, and effort, and he believes in DLive’s vision. Our livestreaming platform has the potential to forever change how creators are represented in this industry, and we’re proud to have PewDiePie help us lead this charge.”

The partnership with PewDiePie will give DLive access to the creator’s huge and loyal fan base, referred to by the star as “nine-year-olds”, and has potential to truly bring blockchain technology to mainstream consumers.



Stay updated!

Subscribe to receive daily blockchain news direct to your inbox.